Apr 12, 2014

Sensoji and Asakusa Shrine


Sensoji is a famous temple located in Asakusa. You might remember a big red lantern hung in the gate.

I went to Sensoji and Asakusa Shrine a few days ago. I haven't been there for a long time, as I hate crowded places, but it was not as crowded as it is on weekdays.

The reason why I visited there is that a family from the Philippines will come to Japan and I'm planning to take them there. This was a preliminary inspection for that.

There is a big incense burner at Sensoji and many people were gathered around waving smoke over their heads or backs. I was thinking about what I should say to explain this behavior.

This is to cleanse impurities, and Japanese people believe that illnesses will be cured when you wave this smoke over you.


The way of praying:
At temples, after making an offering of money, you pray by putting hands together and you bow once to God. However, shrines have a different way of praying to temples, so you need to do 2 bows, 2 claps, and 1 bow, which means that after making an offering of money, you first ring a bell loudly, as a sign that you are visiting the place. After that, you bow twice and you clap your hands twice loudly. This might be a sign of waking the God up. After that, you pray by putting your hands together and you bow once to God.

When I visit shrines, I always feel a sacred atmosphere.



No comments:

Post a Comment