Mar 17, 2014

Paralympics and Olympics


When I was watching the news about the opening ceremony for the Sochi Paralympics, I was surprised that the opening ceremony for the Olympics and Paralympics were held separately and I hadn’t noticed at all before. I was wondering why there are two opening ceremonies, and the Olympics and Paralympics have been held as separate events even though both of them are the same international sporting event. They should be all together, but this doesn’t mean that handicapped and non-handicapped people should compete against each other.

I was searching the Internet and I found some reasons for holding the events separately. Firstly, the organizers are different - International Olympic Committee for the Olympics and International Paralympic Committee for the Paralympics; therefore, each committee makes its arrangements separately. The second reason seems to be that there is no room for all of the athletes to stay. If those players stay together, they would need more housing. Also, there doesn’t seem to be enough space for practicing.

However, I really hope that those events will be held together. Many people, who are not interested in the Paralympics like me, will become more interested and support the athletes. If the space is limited, they could divide the games into two parts, for instance, for the winter Olympics, the first part could be held for skiing or snowboarding and the second part could be skating. If it's impossible for the opening or closing ceremonies to be held together, they could hold it twice for those players who participate in each game, instead of dividing the athletes who participate in the Olympics or Paralympics. The event will be more fun and exciting.

I hope that the Olympics and Paralympics will be unified as one event in the future. If possible, I hope it is done by the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.


No comments:

Post a Comment