Mar 13, 2014

3 years have gone by since the Great East Japan Earthquake


Three years has already passed since the great earthquake occurred in Japan. At the time, I was in Tokyo and was doing desk work in an office, which was located on the 7th floor. The big shakes hit twice. At first, I thought that this was a normal earthquake which I had already experienced in daily life. We have many earthquakes on a daily basis and they don't create a serious concern for us, so, I felt that an earthquake had just occurred. However, this time, the earthquake had been shaking for a long time. I felt that this was not a normal earthquake. My co-worker checked the news on the website about what was happening and we knew that the great earthquake had occurred. As the transportation network was paralyzed because of the earthquake, I came back home taking almost 7 hours on foot. After getting home, I knew that the earthquake had caused a serious disaster in the northeast region of Japan.

The number of casualties has been reported as about 18,500 people as of March 2014 according to the report of the Metropolitan Police Department and many people are still staying in temporary housing. This earthquake caused radioactive contamination, therefore, it's brought a huge problem. I don't know the real sadness of people who have lost their family and house even if the media has been reporting biased information. I hope that the people affected by this earthquake will soon regain their vitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment